Tuesday 17 May 2016

Premier League 2015/16 Lessons In Hindsight, Lessons Roundup, Part 1

Premier League 2015/16 Lessons In Hindsight is a series that forces me to look at the ugly face in the mirror and determine what to let go of past history and what to bring into next season. For Lessons Roundup, the past moves, Good and Bad, will be compiled & crystalised for future reference. Part 1 looks at Gameweeks 1 to 4, concluding with the first international break & the closure of the transfer window.

Good: 


Lesson 1: STICK TO THE PLAN
  • I stuck to my own plan. There were too many kneejerk selections in Gameweek 1:
    • The plan to bring Sanchez and Aguero back into the team was a move planned for from the get go and I was very satisfied that I did it with minimal damage.
    • I stuck to two Aguero caps in GW3 and GW4 where Man City scored 4 goals in 2 games, but no goals for Aguero. I believe that I took advantage of City's goalscoring form, but I was unlucky not to have any captain points delivered.
Lesson 2: HAVE A BACKUP DEFENDER FOR THE LONG TERM

  • I picked up WBA defense with the long term in mind, albeit for backup defense purposes. I did field him in the end as my better defenders ran into hard fixtures; I just wished I picked a defender who had more guaranteed starts.

Bad:



Lesson 3: DON'T BE TOO SUNKEN ABOUT FAILED CAPTAINCIES IF YOU'VE DONE THE HOMEWORK
  • I capped Sakho against Leicester in GW2. Looking at other alternatives:
    • I could understand if I wasn't brave enough to cap David Silva vs. Man City
    • Ozil away to Palace was a tough ask considering their loss to West Ham
    • Neither Chelsea midfielder had form
    • I didn't dare cap Pelle against Everton either, who were considered a strong side.
The decision was really between Sakho, Pelle and Silva in the final minutes; I guess with Leicester conceding 2 to Sunderland, banking on Sakho's form against leaky Leicester outweighed Silva's influential performance against West Brom. A mistake, but a forgivable one in the end.

Lesson 4: BENCH THE PLAYER WITH NON-SECURE MINUTES
  • I benched Wilson against West Ham in GW3, starting BJ and Westwood instead. 
    • I gambled on Johnson's minutes being secure and I was punished for it. I certainly should have benched Johnson despite nominating him as the differential 4th midfielder.
Lesson 5: CLEAN SHEET FORM DOESN'T EXIST - BUY AGAINST SCORING FORM INSTEAD
  • I bought into the "CS Form" concept. It always correlates to opposition, as I learned the hard way by picking up Liverpool and Man United defense. Looking at alternatives:
    • On the time of the Wildcard, my best options were MCI and ARS based on immediate fixtures based on the number of goals scored by opposition. I should have read the signs on the wall.
Lesson 6: LIMIT STAT PUNTS TO TWO ATTACKERS AT MOST
  • I had too many Stat punts. During GW1-2 I had BJ, Wilson and Sakho; after the Wildcard in GW3-4 I didn't learn my lesson, going with Westwood, Shelvey and Diouf.
    • Possible alternatives in hindsight (MID) were Mahrez, Hoolahan/Redmond, Yaya Toure, Payet and Ayew.
    • Possible alternatives in hindsight (FWD) were Gomis only.



No comments:

Post a Comment